So the idea of this was to choose one of our poems and show it to the world in a public place (in a non-permanent way of course.)
I chose the poem that went like this;
“[after the funeral] our gloomy future rushed through the door, mad enough to shut the door we altered the frame.”
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HOW POORLY THIS WENT FOR ME.
I made tons of very small (like thumb sized) pieces of paper with my poem on it and planned on sticking them to doors all around campus/main street. I put on all black clothes, sunglasses, and prepared to sneakily place these so that I would not be recognized. I managed to get two on doors in my residence hall. Then I walked to almost all of the buildings on campus. I GOT YELLED AT SO MANY TIMES. So I realized “I should probably start asking if I can place these on doors.” I did exactly that. Not only did almost everyone I asked say no, most of them were extremely rude about it as if I was asking to spray paint it in huge letters, not stick a tiny piece of paper to their door with packing tape. So heres a list of the places I successfully snuck my poem to the doors of:
Now two days later only four survive…
The two in Reimer and the two in Cohen. Art is hard.
This assignment was pretty straight forward; pick out a book, black out some words in strategic ways until you get some poetry. It was actually kinda hard, but fun. Heres what I came up with:
One thing I struggled with is that I really enjoy writing poetry so it was hard for me to make poetry from someone else words. I found myself trying to find words that were simply not on the pages to finish off sentences the was I wanted them to sound.
So our final project in block A foundations was extremely open ended. After mulling over one giant concept for about 24 hours, my two group mates and I came up with a final focused idea. We documented this entire process and what the project is really about, this can be viewed below;
This project is something that I feel very strongly about. It is one of the hardest things I’ve ever (voluntarily) done. To talk about my biggest insecurities and actually document them was something that feels like a huge leap for me. I won’t lie and say that this project magically cured me of my insecurities. They don’t just go away, physically or emotionally. What I can say though, is that it has helped me put them into a new perspective. Here are some of the final pieces of documented “flaws” and parallels we found in ourselves and in nature that we hung up as a physical representation of our project;
One thing I briefly mentioned in the video was that even though we were documenting what we saw as flaws, we still managed to find some beautiful pictures of ourselves in the process and to me that is amazing, because I can honestly say I rarely find pictures of myself that I genuinely like. These are some of the pictures that I actually liked and found beauty in:
I can honestly say this is one of my proudest projects. Between the amount of time and energy we all put in, the fears and insecurities we all faced head on, and the overall outcome of this project, I can’t say I’ve ever made something quite like this one. To show this to all of my fellow classmates and professors was really difficult, but I am so happy that I did. There was over 500 photos originally in this shoot, and over 5 hours of footage. I really hope that this condensed final project can speak for itself, and help other people to realize that no one is alone in this constant battle between ourselves and our insecurities. This piece not only impacted me in such an incredibly positive way, it also helped me verbalize and portray something that I have been struggling with for as long as I can remember.
This week’s assignment was a group project- Astrid, Morgan, and I were assigned a section of the line (section 15) and had to do a total of nine explorations. Three explorations to measure the line, three explorations to gather research on the line, and three explorations to generate new knowledge from the line.
(1) We measured the line in different dance poses. Morgan posed throughout the length of our section.
(2) We measured the line with one of my favorite songs- “Feeling This” by Blink-182. It played about 3 times in our section.
(3) We measured how many different trees were included in the width and length of the line in our section. We lost count after multiple tries. (boo)
(1) We collected about 30 different sounds of us interacting with nature by making noises. Some noises were completely human generated while others were in collaboration with trees, leaves, branches, etc.
(2) We researched different methods of traveling the line to see which was best (it was still walking). Different methods included skipping, hopping, rolling, somersaulting.
(3) We ventured into the woods at night (heard some scary noises, saw some scary wildlife) and researched different ways to experience the line- we decided to make it more challenging by walking at night and disabling ourselves. Morgan walked in heels, Astrid was tied at her hands and feet, and I was blind-folded.
Generation of New Knowledge:
(1) Morgan walked with a mirror in front of her so she could experience the line behind her while walking forward.
(2) Each of us climbed a tree and sat at the top for a while in order to see the line from a different (higher) perspective.
(3) We went camping!!! This allowed us to experience the line at night (which was really scary) and also gave us an amazing opportunity to watch Sunday’s lunar eclipse.
Here’s the link to our video on youtube! Check it out: